We are in the home stretch with less than a week to go until D23 Expo 2017. All of us at The Main Street Moms are getting so excited we don’t know what we’ll do until we can enter the Expo Friday morning. In the meantime, we thought we’d share our top five things we can’t wait for and the five things we aren’t looking forward to at the next expo.
- Friends – This year we will be hanging out with our friends from other blogs and friends we’ve made since the last D23 Expo. This means our roving reporter doesn’t have to stand in line by himself!
- Panels – We have a couple we can’t wait for:
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts panel – With the announcement of a Star Wars themed land on both coasts and the addition of a Toy Story Land to Hollywood Studios, the parks panel in 2015 was extremely exciting. We can’t wait for the updates and new directions that will be announced on Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
- “Pirates of the Caribbean”: 50 years of Swashbuckling Adventures – Featuring big Disney names like Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter we’ll be plundering through the history of one of our favorite attractions.
- The Return of: Debunking Myths, Revealing Secrets of Disney Animation – We caught this small panel in 2015 and we can’t wait to hear from Keith Lapinig and the Animation Research Library crew.
- A Whole New World of Alan Menken – A concert with Alan playing music and telling stories from his career. We are there!
- Cosplay – We love the creativity of Disney fans and nothing is more creative than the Cosplayers at the D23 Expo and other fan expos. From princesses and characters to the group dressed as The Jungle cruise complete with boat and skipper the Cosplayers set the bar high in 2015 and we are sure they are going to blow the roof off this year.
- A Galaxy of Stories – This Disney Parks pavilion will feature the stories being told in the new Star Wars themed lands on both coasts. We can’t wait to see the model.
- Shopping – D23 Expo always brings some of the most exciting shopping experiences in the galaxy. We are so excited to get into Mickey’s of Glendale once again.
As we pointed out post-D23 Expo 2015 there was certainly room for improvement. Here are the five things we are not looking forward to or hope got fixed for the D23 Expo 2017.
- Crowds – You can’t do anything Disney without crowds and the D23 Expo is no different. In 2015 there were serious crowd control issues (I’m looking right at you card traders). Hopefully this year we won’t have crazy shenanigans related to log jams from surprise releases, celebrity sightings, or other Disney magic.
- Resellers – There is nothing more dishearting while trying to get that one item you really wanted then hearing it’s sold out. Wait, yes there is, overhearing someone gloating that they and their friends got multiples of that item to “fill orders” or sell on e-bay. Hopefully, D23 will strictly enforce limits and try to curb this secondary market. Gotta say we’re not holding our breath with people already listing items on eBay.
- Lines – There were so many lines in 2015. These aren’t going away anytime soon. Find a friend or group of friends to make the lines fun.
- Con-Funk – Ah, summer in Southern California, we don’t have the humidity of Florida but we do have the heat. In 2015 it was over 90 degrees every day. It’s looking to be about the same in 2017. This means those crowds are gonna be hot and sweaty. Please remember the 5-2-1 rule to make your expo experience fun for everyone. Five hours of sleep (preferably in a bed), two good meals, and at least one shower a day.
- Campers – Look if you really have to have that one item or need to get into that one panel go ahead and camp out all night. We aren’t going to rain on your parade but we really wish D23 would not allow people to do this.
Check out our photos from the 2015 Expo below. Have you downloaded the 2017 app yet? What are your top and bottom five?
The Main Street Moms visit #D23Expo2015 for the first time. If you see yourself in a photo tag yourself and say hi.
Latest posts by Paul (see all)
- Grand Marceline Coffee – Review and Giveaway – Winners! - August 22, 2017
- Our D23 Expo 2017 recap - August 4, 2017
- Top (and bottom) 5 reasons we can’t wait for D23 Expo - July 9, 2017